Jan 21, 2012

Tired...

It's been two long weeks...I think my brain has entered "Cyprus Mode" for good now, which means I need to stop and take a breath. And remember the deep forests and the waterfalls of the world.

At least I have recalled what Friday afternoons mean. I never thought the smell of the lazy Friday afternoons of my primary-school years would come back. But it hit me as soon as I got into the car to drive home yesterday- it was sunny and there were two kids riding their skateboards in my neighbourhood. And I had nothing to do for the rest of the day.

I went birdwatching today...I actually enjoyed it. Even though birds are kind of nervous creatures, time rolled by more slowly than usual.

Lately I've been running the notion that one suffers from a lack of perspectives in Cyprus. It's not like Edinburgh, where you have the different layers and levels in the city, which offer plenty of perspectives and continuous fresh points of view both literally and metaphorically. There's always a view of the city you haven't seen in the soft light of dawn or a corner whose shadows you haven't pondered upon at dusk. 
There's always room in your soul left for the wonders of possibility; that excitement that drives us on to live, love and create. Don't the cherry-blossomed Meadows look so much different on a sunny spring day than the frozen-over sparkling Meadows of a windy winter's day? Play around with the days of the week, the times of day, and the vantage point, and what you get is a whole load of thinking, and a generation of scientists and artists being born right there, in that little patch of grass, in that little part of the world.

Yeah, and for some reason, Cyprus always seemed so dry, even before I went to Edinburgh. Back then, though, I didn't know what was wrong with me, and felt like my brain was slowly being pickled in its stale juices, but afterwards I realised that I had a case of 'Perspective Deficiency'.

Afterall, there isn't such a big variety of creative people with different points of view to create such perspectives here. Most people tend to follow some mainstream trends, and if someone wants to express an opinion they do it by imposing themselves violently on the landscape, like the bullshit flag on the mountain with the tacky flashing lights that I am forced to look at every day from my window or on my way back from work or the annoying spray tags on walls everywhere in Lefkosia that self proclaimed "graffiti artists" call Art.

There's just too much visual and noise pollution that the people who are actually offering a true invitation for thought are drowned out by the bullcrap.

Anyway, as I have decided to adopt an optimistic outlook on life despite my genetic predispositions, I am determined to constantly keep searching for these people and those perspectives that will enable me to keep living a sane life here in Cyprus.

I think what I'm trying to say is I enjoyed birdwatching so much today cause it offered me some unexpected new and beautiful perspectives. I never realised Cypriot nature could be so wild. Driving down the road with the sea stretching out from almost under the wheels, a kestrel in the sky, flapping its wings crazily, hovering over a marsh. Such a beautiful image. And meanwhile, all around us traffic, houses, villas, development, planes taking off loudly, an airport.

That kestrel could just be my flag of hope.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I never knew that Cypriot nature could be so wild either, until I saw some of your amazing photos. I see what you are saying about the lack of perspectives in Cyprus, and I would love to be there with you to argue about alternative viewpoint, BUT
    I think that maybe the reason that you found Edinburgh so much more stimulating was because you were here for four years, and you have grown up in Cyprus. You know Cyprus, it is your home, but Edinburgh is a new and foreign place.

    I look forward to reading more from you as you discover Cyprus. As you learn about the country, I learn about it also from you.
    As a friend of mine says, and I agree, we should criticise by creating.

    I am waiting, with genuine expectation, to see what perspective, and what new experiences, you will bring to Cyprus, and that way, what windows you will open for all of us.

    I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete