Louisiana Love

So I have found myself on the road and in new adventures again! I can't begin to describe how excited I am, but you all probably know that already.

I am currently living in Port Allen, Louisiana, a town on the west bank of the Mississippi in Baton Rouge, with the love of my life, in his house which is attached to his parents' funeral home. Most people will find this a bit creepy, but I assure you it is far from being a creepy place. Port Allen is a slow-paced kinda place, with a refreshing openness - found in both the space and the people - that I have been yearning for for a long time now. The houses are small and spread out, people sit outside on their porches in the humid afternoon and kids ride their bikes around the neighborhood, which has no pavement, just a grassy side of a road, and tall, spreading Cypress trees. It is so quiet you can almost hear the wind blowing through the tall corn fields that stretch out beyond the last row of houses before the large and mighty river. The only noticeable sounds are the deafening 'choooooo's of the train in the morning and the afternoon as it rushes through the neighborhood, and the strange and exotic sounds of the many many colourful birds that call and sing from treetops outside the window, or that fly over on their way to some swampy and magical place.

Thick clouds of smoke rise from the plants on the banks of the Mississippi, and the combination of industry and agriculture makes for a strange and wonderful contrast from my native concrete Cyprus, my adopted gothic Edinburgh, and my jungle-trash Indonesia. It is a new place altogether, and let me tell you - it is beautiful.

I haven't taken my camera out yet as I'm too busy taking all the new colours and sounds in and hanging out with Roux the pitbull, but I will soon! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 6, Baton Rouge, LA

Personal interpretation, with the aim of providing hope and comfort

Joachim The Tree